Sunday, July 13, 2014

My First Experience as a Farmer


On the morning of 11th of July, the Richys, Sunny and I went to the nearby Yale farm to do voluntary work. The farm is only about 15 minutes' walk from the house we rented. After we arrived at the farm, we saw about 8 people working on the farm. Some of them were weeding in the field. Some of them were pulling out the lettuces, carrots and beets. Others were washing vegetables, or spinning them, weighing them and putting them in plastic bags. Richy and Sunny are strong and tough, so they were assigned to work in the sun pulling out vegetables while Richy's wife, Young and I, the frailer ones were assigned to work in a big plastic tent which provides us a shade, to wash, spin, weight and put them into plastic bags . This is the first time for me to do such farm work on a farm. So I am very excited. Young, another Mexican girl and I we three worked as a group like three workers on an assembly line. The Mexican girl removed the yellow leaves of the lettuce. Young washed it and I weighed it (each plastic bag holds three pounds of vegetables) and put it into plastic bags which were latter put into a big refrigerator on the farm. I later found that the washed and sorted vegetables would be sold to markets. We worked on the farm for almost three hours. At 12:30, we were offered to take some not so good beets and carrots and lettuces back home as a reward for our three hours' voluntary work on the farm. Not having the bread and salads lunch which we actually deserved, we left the farm with a little disappointment. Anyway, today I spent an unforgettable day as a farmer in the first time in my life. 






I was pulling out vegetables out from the soil. But unfortunately to say, I couldn't do such kind of work for no more than 10 minutes because it was so hot in the sun.









Interestingly, I found several hens on one corner of the farm. I fed them with vegetables. Aha! They were all running to me.









                          I've reached on the Yale farm.









I was weighing vegetables and putting them into plastic bags. Can you guess what is the red barrel on the steel table right next to me? Yes, that's a spinner. Vegetables are put into the barrel to be spinned or dried out of the needless water. In the barrel there is a hollowing out plastic basket, and there is a cover which has a rotatable handle.










I was removing those yellow leaves and dirt on the beets.




1 comment:

  1. These posts are WONDERFUL! It's almost as if you enjoy writing them?!? I love to read them...so many interesting experiences you're having!

    ReplyDelete